Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Saturday 7 February 2015

Car Park birds and a lost mobile phone!!

Sometimes, when I haven't much time, I like to sit in RSPB Greylake car park and take photos of the little birds that come down to the feeders. This happened twice in the last week!
   Yesterday I met a lovely man, Les Moxon, who was doing the same thing. As he had bagged the best spot for photographing the birds, he invited me to sit in the back of his car so I could shoot closer too! We had a good photographic chat between capturing the Starlings, Blue and Great Tits, Reed Buntings, Robins, Blackbirds and Chaffinches! We agreed that it was a good spot for Dunnocks, and also saw a Wren;


Unfortunately the Wren decided to appear just as the sun went in, hence the pic is not as sharp as I had hoped! I have my eyes on a new camera and lens combo that work better in low light! Les had no such problems!

His fabulous photos can be seen on his Flickr site here;

After a while we heard from people that were coming back from the hide that there was a Raptor party going on over the reserve! 2 Peregrines and 3 Marsh Harriers were apparently putting on a show! I couldn't resist, thanked Les for allowing me to sit in his car, then made my way towards the hide. On the way I met James Gibbs, we chatted briefly about fighting Kingfishers which I had witnessed in Wells and he had witnessed at Westhay, then I was off to the hide again. Halfway there though, I suddenly realised I didn't have my mobile phone with me! I knew I had put it in my pocket when coming out so thought it must've fallen out in Les's car!!
   I ran straight back to the car park but Les had gone!! 
Panic!
I feel naked without my mobile! Funny how we become so attached to this reasonably new technology! I don't know how I coped when I was younger without one!!
  So I missed the hide and the Bird of prey show and I promptly drove home!  
Luckily Les had given me his card with his website and phone number on! I called him on my landline and was very relieved to hear he had found my phone and it was safe and well!

Even luckier, I had  a job in Taunton during the night where he lived, so was able to pop round and be reunited with my life support (What my other half calls my phone!!).
   I do apologise for stepping onto Les's cream carpet in my muddy work boots, especially to his wife who quickly rushed in with a wet cloth to clean the mess I left! Sorry! 

Below are some of the bird pics I took during the 2 visits to Greylake car park this week;





^Above^ - Blackbird.














^Above^ - Blue Tits.... gorgeous little birds!




^Above^ - Dunnock.





^Above^ - Great Tit.






^Above^ - Robin.

















^Above^ - Male and female Reed Buntings.... males have the darker heads.


^Above^ - A passing Heron.

















^Above^ - Male and female Chaffinches.... the males have the red plumage!













^Above^ - Starlings!

No comments:

Post a Comment