Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Tuesday 3 February 2015

Peek a boo Vole!

After a couple of weeks with my huge new Sigma lens attached to my Nikon D7000, I popped into Greylake for half an hour with my original 70-300mm Nikkor VR lens on.
  I met Nick Edge again in the car park, unfortunately I didn't have time to go to the hide where he was headed, instead staying in the car park taking pictures of the little birds coming to the feeders.
   The sun decided to go in for most of my visit.
This is called the 'Bovis effect'. If you are basking in gorgeous sun and you see me turn up, you best grab your umbrellas, the weather will change almost immediately!!

Now, I love my old lens. It's very light, meaning I have a great chance of not 'missing' a shot!
  For example, with my Sigma lens on my camera, I would not have had time to get this shot;


This tiny Vole was charging about in the old tree stump laying down by the bird table. Incredibly it stuck it's head out through the gap for literally a split second!!
   Very happy to get this!
I might just stick with my smaller lens for general use. I'd hate to miss opportunities like this because my camera and lens combo is too heavy!!
  Below are some more of the pics I managed during my brief stay;









^Above^ - More of the cute little Vole!





^Above^ - Dunnock





^Above^ - Reed Buntings









^Above^ - Robin.





^Above^ - Starling.


^Above^ - Great Tit.


^Above^ - A passing Lapwing.


















^Above^ - Male and female Chaffinches!

No comments:

Post a Comment