Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Monday 21 March 2016

Dartford Warblers at Sand Bay!

Today I popped to Sand Bay during lunch to see if I could finally photograph the Dartford Warblers that had been seen here in the Sea Buckthorn along the beach. The sun was out, but it was again very blustery, so I wasn't holding out much hope. I didn't even know if they were still about!
   It's quite unusual for these tiny rare birds to be so close to the coast, they're more often found on the Dorset heathlands, with a few found on the gorse and heather covered uplands of Exmoor and the Mendip Hills. They are very susceptible to cold Winters, so being by the coast actually makes sense and it is slightly warmer at this time of year than their usual haunts (Though you wouldn't believe it with the sea winds!), and they keep out of the wind hidden in the Buckthorn....hence why I wasn't hopeful of finding them today.
   I am pleased to say, I DID find them! It was a case of 3rd time lucky after 2 failed attempts earlier in the month! What's more, I got some half decent photos! :)
  Photographing them was still far from easy!
  I handhold my heavy lens, and the wind was blowing me about as I tried to pinpoint my focus on these tiny birds in the undergrowth, so as a result a couple of pics weren't as sharp as I'd have liked, frustratingly, but beggars can't be choosers, and I was thrilled with some I did manage to get sharp!
   There were at least 3 present, at least one male and at least one female, but I suspect there may be 2 or 3 more!

Below are pics of the delightful Sand Bay Dartford Warblers!

Dartford Warbler

























What little beauties they are!! :)

If you're on Facebook, please 'like' my nature page here;

https://www.facebook.com/CarlBovisNaturePhotography/

You can also follow me on Twitter here;

https://twitter.com/CarlBovisNature

Please also let me know what you think about my blog, or just say 'hi' by using the contact form on the top right of this blog, I love to hear from the people who visit! :)

Until next time...

Carl

No comments:

Post a Comment