Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Tuesday 1 November 2016

Long tailed tits, Robins, Goldcrests and a mystery duck at Ashford Reservoir!

Just a small blog post today.
 I parked near a little known and hidden small reservoir near Cannington in Somerset for my lunch break today. I'd only popped to Ashford reservoir once before, a few years ago, to see my first ever Sand Martins! I had viewed them from the road, on tip toes!
  Today I found a public footpath that runs along one edge of the reservoir and it enabled me to see what birds were on it. In truth, not great numbers of anything. A few Mute Swans, a small group of Tufted Duck, a Moorhen and a couple of Mallard.
   A wader flew past low over the edge of the water but only saw it briefly...it may have been a Sandpiper of some type.
   A large flock of Gulls were on farmland next to the reservoir, Black headed and Herring.
    There was also one duck on it's own. It looked like a female and it was of the diving variety, not the dabbling. It was quite far off and once again the day was gloomy and light was terrible, but I took some photos anyway, in the hope someone views them here and identifies it!
  It could be a female Goldeneye. I'm not sure. Female ducks and waders aren't my strong point!
      A group of Long Tailed Tits landed in the trees and hedges calling to each other, I love hearing these delightful little birds. There were also a couple of Goldcrests with them, along with some Blue Tits and a Great Tit. Small birds of different species tend to roam about in groups feeding together at this time of year, I guess for safety in numbers.
   There were also a few Robins about, not as cute as my Robin having a bath, but still a delight to see!

Below are a handful of pics taken at Ashford reservoir today;








^Above^ - Delightful Long Tailed Tits.




^Above^ - Robins.


^Above^ - Pied Wagtail.


^Above^ - Goldcrest....Europes tiniest bird!




^Above^ - Mute Swans.



^Above^ - Tufted Ducks.



^Above^ - Herring and Black Headed Gulls.





^Above^ - The 'mystery' duck!

No comments:

Post a Comment